Saturday, June 21, 2008

This Year's Answer

Way back when I first started this blog, oh so many months ago, I told the story of my workplace having a "Canadian spirit" day, during which employees were encouraged to wear as much red and white as possible. In case you haven't read that entry (which you can do by clicking on the link in that last sentence, if so inclined), I can summarize it by saying that I find the whole idea a bit silly.

Like many silly activities, it appears to have become an annual tradition. When the time came this year, I had a new answer for the inevitable "Hey, where's your red-and-white stuff?" inquiries. With as much artificial cheerfulness as I can muster: "You haven't seen my underwear yet!"

It's unfortunate that I had to go back to the underwear theme, but it works. The "yet" is the heart of the line. Take out the "yet" - not funny. With the "yet" - at least mildly amusing, and usually good for being left alone by my interrogator for at least the next 10 working hours.

The followup bit was even more effective. Returning to my desk after a brief absence, I loudly announced to everyone within earshot, "I just checked while I was in the washroom, and some of my underwear is still white!"

One unfortunate individual was puzzled by this, rather than taking the sensible path of just blocking me out.

"What do you mean, 'some of it is still white'?"

"Well, more of it used to be." (Pause for effect.) "I don't expect there'll be any white left at all by this time next week."


Enough rambling. Here's another picture of a chain-link fence in closeup.

No comments: