Friday, August 8, 2008

New Stuff On The Right

Despite the title, this is not a political post. Besides, those of us on the political right hate anything new, remember?

In lieu of actual new content, I'd like to take a moment to introduce a couple of new elements in this blog's sidebar (that column of stuff on the right, beginning with the Archive menus).

I keep meaning to put some more links over there. The one that's been listed since I started this thing was just entered to test the feature, but it will be staying on when I get around to a doing up a "real" list of links. However, that's never quite made it to the top of the To Do list. Plus, I'd like to figure out how to categorize my links first, separating them by whether the target pages are about comics, games, politics, etc. That may not even be possible without digging into HTML and CSS, so it may never happen.

Anyway, on to what's new over there. You may need to scroll up or down a bit (for best results, wait until after you've read this). First up, a neat little widget called the Flagcounter. It tallies and displays how many of my visitors come from different countries. Unfortunately, it only started counting when I installed it; it can't go back and count my past visitors. Google Analytics can, and it shows that I've had visitors from 34 different countries, not just the four currently represented.

Worse, it gives an indication of just how many (read: how few) people are reading this stuff. Cue David Niven for a joke about my willingness to display my shortcomings.

Second, a bit further down, you'll find the New Brunswick Blogroll. This is pretty much what it sounds like: a list of blogs from, about, or somehow connected to the province of New Brunswick. This is one of the most specific pieces of personal information that I've ever revealed on here, if you think about it for a second.

It should probably go without saying, but I'll say it anyway for the record: my linking to a site, especially one that's just in that blogroll listing, in no way endorses anything that may get written on that site. In fact, I've checked out several of the sites on the NB Blogroll (the ones with plus signs have recently been updated), and discovered one that appears to be written by an escapee from some sort of mental health facility for elementary schoolchildren. Which one I mean is left as an exercise for the reader.

I've contacted the NB Blogroll administrator and asked to be added to the list. Putting the list on your site is an understandable prerequisite to being listed. It can apparently take up to a few weeks for addition requests to get processed, so I may not show up there for a while. Assuming I eventually do, the blogroll will stick around.

Enough rambling. Here's a picture of my living room floor.

No comments: