Friday, October 31, 2008

Trick Or Treat Tally

This year we got exactly nine trick-or-treaters at my house. One of those was the daughter of friends who specifically drove her over, well out of their own neighbourhood, so a more honest count would be eight "wanderers".

I note this solely because every year I try to remember how many we got last year, and how many we usually get, but never have a clue. By posting it here maybe I'll be able to find it when I start wondering next year.

For similar reasons, I note that last winter was extraordinarily harsh, and this summer was unrelentingly cold, grey and wet. It rained almost every day from mid-July to late August.

There. When I'm an old man waxing nostalgic about the winters, summers, and Hallowe'ens of yore, I'll have something to back me up.


(Update: I edited this column after posting it to change the number of trick-or-treaters from seven to nine. My wife tells me there were a couple that came and went without my even noticing later in the evening. Anyone who saved a copy of the original version of this article is now in possession of a surefire collector's item in the vein of one of those "Dewey Defeats Truman" newspapers.)


Enough rambling. Here's a picture of a big ugly bug. To get a sense of scale, each of the rocks over which he's crawling is approximately the size of a Hyundai.

No comments: